So why hasn’t Congress already raised taxes on the rich? Perhaps because the superwealthy have raised a lot more political money than the rest of us.
- Percent of donations to super-PACs this year that come from just 196 Americans: 80
- Amount the Koch brothers and their foundations plan to spend to defeat Obama: $395 million
- Total money raised by John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign: $384 million
- Number of billionaires who’ve made donations to Mitt Romney’s super-PAC, Restore Our Future: 32
- Percentage of Americans who give more than $10,000 in any election cycle: 0.01